6. A real-life bird, the Rio de Janeiro antwren, is endemic to Brazil and is currently on the critically endangered species list due to loss of lowland forest habitat.
7. Rio, statistically, is safer than Detroit.
8. Brazil is the 4th country to host the World Cup and the Olympic Games consecutively, joining Mexico, Germany and USA.
9. The Rio 2016 Olympic coins—320 million commemorative coins with themes of fauna, flora, culture and Brazilian monuments as well as Olympic and Paralympic sports—will be the first coins exported from Brazil.
10. Ten refugee athletes, including Team Visa athlete Yusra Mardini, have been selected to compete on the first-ever Refugee Olympic Team (ROT) at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. The team was created as a symbol of hope for refugees worldwide.